Monday, February 17, 2020

Bullied for Breastfeeding (May 5, 2019)

Have you ever been bullied for breastfeeding? Have people tried to shame you because you choose to feed your child with the resources that God gave you? Some have been blessed to be able to breastfeed while some can't.  Breastfeeding is hard work in itself, but it's even harder with the added burden of being put to shame for doing it.

I have been and am currently being bullied because I breastfeed in public. I do so with a cover. No one can see any nakedness, but still I get dirty looks and have to endure the awkward "touchy" conversations. Instead of being encouraged to feed my baby and supported for doing what is right and caring for my child, I am being gossipped about and put under a shameful light. And now I just gotta say it...

Boobs are for babies!!!

Did you miss that? Let me say it again a little louder...

BOOBS ARE FOR BABIES!!!!

It's not a sexual act! So, I've been told that my breastfeeding is a stumbling block to men. Not by men mind you, but by women who apparently feel the need to speak for the nameless faceless men. No men have ever come to talk with my husband, but I've had several ladies come and talk with me about "my sin". How am I sinning you might ask? Well, I don't believe I'm in any kind of sin, but I'm told that I am being a stumbling block and to be one is a sin. I have been told that I should leave the room when I breastfeed for the sake of the men. And I refuse to do so. I refuse to be the one put to shame when I am doing nothing wrong and my intent is only to feed my child.

Some say that my breastfeeding causes men to think dirty thoughts so I should care enough about them and leave the room. No, I'm not doing it. If a man looks at me with my cover on and thinks dirty thoughts, I have no control over that; and I say if they have a problem, they should leave the room because they are the one who is in sin. I say, stop condoning the sin and making the person who isn't in sin change their ways. Counsel the true sinner to change his or her ways.

Also, I have a question, do these same men go to the beach and see women in bathing suits? Yeah, they do and I guess that isn't a stumbling block for them. (Let that one sink in.) But you are telling me that I'm a stumbling block to them because I use my breast to nurture my child and give them life. No, I am not the problem. I say if a man is thinking dirty because he sees a mother feeding her child, he should leave the room. He should be dealt with. He is the one in sin and he is the one who needs to be counseled. He's the one who needs to endure the "touchy" conversations. I say if a woman has issues with a mother feeding her child, she should leave the room. Let the person who is in sin do what they need to do to flee. Don't make the ones who are doing nothing wrong leave the room.

Stop shaming the breastfeeding mothers!!! Stop gossipping about them!!! Stop having the awkward conversations with the mother and start having them with the men!!!Start teaching your sons that breastfeeding is not sexual!! Stop teaching them that boobs are so sexual and only sexual, I mean sure they can be used for sexual pleasure, but they are ultimately for a mother to feed her child and that is a beautiful, God supported act. And there is nothing sexual about a mother feeding her baby!!!

And, dear mothers, if you are being shamed for breastfeeding, please don't let anyone bully you out of it. Don't leave the room. Don't listen to them. You are doing nothing wrong!  What you are doing is beautiful and God supports you. If you need support because someone is treating you poorly because you won't leave the room to breastfeed or do it the way they want you to, Stand Your Ground. Find support and listen to the sweet mother's voices who understand what that is like and stand together with them to put an end to this shaming and breastfeed bullying. Ignore the nay sayers and keep on doing what you are doing because you are in the right here. If you need support, come chat with me, girl, I'll have your back.

And you mothers who are shaming other mothers, repent and change your ways. Be more loving. Educate yourselves. Stop making the breastfeeding mothers feel uncomfortable. Get some counseling. And remember that boobs are for babies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment